Friday, February 12, 2010

Sing along and bronze the face at the same time!

When I was really young, and full of even more outrageous dreams than I am now, I thought I would grow up to become a singer. There were certain songs that would trigger this dream within. These songs would make my heart pound and my lips quiver. I could taste the satisfaction of delivering my emotions in melody.

One song meant the world to me. I remember riding in the back of Queen Fierce's car listening to the radio just praying that my song would come on. Then, when I would lose all faith that my song was in rotation, my ears would hear the introductory notes of the best song I had encountered in my young life: "The Greatest Love of All," sung by Whitney Houston.

Oh man!! That song just made me feel alive. The way Whitney Houston's voice would emit hope, love, strength. Her voice just gave me chills, and I would get the sudden urge to belt out the lyrics like she did. So, I sat in the back of the car just letting out everything I had within me. If I had been in a karaoke competition I would have won two awards, one for most emotion and one for worst voice.

Here's the thing, in order to successfully pull off a sing-along, one needs the best mock microphone around. Many use a brush, their hair dryer, or like me, their balled up fist. However, those just don't work it. Until now, thankfully, EcoTools has come out with a mondo Bamboo bronzer brush* that works perfectly as a mock microphone. In addition, the brush is a great makeup tool too.



the Bamboo bronzer brush makes quite the first impression. The brush head is densely packed, rounded, and very soft. The handle is very thick in diameter and mid-size in length. I am used to seeing bronzer/kabuki brushes with shorter handles, so I didn't know how I would like working with this brush.

At first, I tried this brush strictly with my bronzer, and it worked well. It did what it had to do, it picked up a subtle amount of bronzer and softly delivered the color. The bristles are so soft, that it helps to diffuse heavy pigmentation. I thought, "Okay, this is a nice brush. It feels like I have velvety feathers caressing my face, and I doesn't leave dirty bronzer streaks all over my face." Then, I decided to try the bronzer brush with my everyday minerals foundation, which I had not touched in a while because I was tried of having to buff the stuff in. Well, this is when the brush really stood out (other than for playing the role of the microphone). First, I dipped the brush in the mineral powder, then I tapped off the excess, and buffed the foundation onto my face. I was surprised at how well the foundation was evenly spread, how little I had to truly buff, and how nice the finish was.

See, the reason why I had not been wearing the mineral foundation, even though it offers the perfect skin match, is because I tend to use the everyday minerals flat top brush with it, and I was getting tired of how heavy my face looked when applying the foundation with this brush. Then I tried the everyday mineral kabuki brush with the foundation, but the coverage was just too sheer for my taste, and the mixture I use is not a sheer finish. (FYI, I use a mixture of the semi-matte, matte, and a touch of the intensive formulas in golden medium and buttered tan to get the perfect match.) So, I just put the brushes and the foundation aside, until now. Now, I kind of can't wait to put my foundation on again. I attribute this excitement to the bronzer brush.

The brush is fuller than the everyday mineral kabuki, which helps in delivering more coverage, I think (remember, just my ideas, I'm no scientist). Also, since it is round, it doesn't deposit a crazy amount of foundation like the flat top brush does. This brush has significantly cut back on the amount of time I have to buff the mineral foundation.

However, just to let you know, the thick handle did take some getting used to. None of my other brush handles are as thick at this handle, and so this handle felt a little cumbersome. After several times, I got the hang of manipulating the handle, but it wasn't instantly comfortable. Also, this brush take FOR-EVAH to dry after washing. I washed it around 8 pm and it still wasn't dry at 2 or 3 pm the next day (it was on the damp side). It was fully dry around 4 or 5 pm. So, it feels like you have to plan ahead when washing this brush.

I received this brush to review, but I would definitely buy another one so that I could rotate them between washes. This is a worthwhile brush.

So if you don't have a decent bronzer/kabuki brush, check this one out.

Pics



Rating
4 out 5 happy wallets (very nice brush, but takes a while to dry and get used to the handle)
Price: $9.99 (really nice price for the quality. In fact, I think I might just buy a backup)
Where: local drugstores or check here www.eco-tools.com



*Note on review: I did receive these product to review. However, I was not paid for writing a review, and I always vow to be honest. The gratis products did not sway my opinion one way or another.

4 comments:

Askmewhats said...

the handle looks a bit thicker than any other brushes I own, but the brush hairs look really good and I can sense it really works:)

ndoodles said...

That's so awesome!!! I absolutely LOVE using Ecotools brushes!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE. BTW - which formulation do you use? Intensive or Semi-matte...? I use semi-matte w/ my mini EDM kabuki brush and I get decent coverage and really natural looking finish.

Bedalyz said...

looks like the sephora bronzer brush, but cheaper. i wish i could try it but i haven't seen it in my local drugstores. funny thing is i've never used my bronzer brush for bronzer, mainly brush and foundation lol.

T said...

Nikki-Yes, I was surprise at how much I ended up liking the brush despite the wide handle. It's a good brush if you don't have a good bronzer brush already.

ndoodles-I use a one part intensive in buttered tan, one part matte golden medium, and one part semi-matte in golden medium. I made this mixture a long time ago, so I am using it up. However, I compared my mixture to the intensive golden medium and the shade is very close to my mixture, so I am gonna try just that shade. I like the heavier coverage. I used to use the flat top with the intensive, and after months of doing that, I realized that it was just too heavy. Plus, I am making an effort to clear up my skin (review will come later). What shade do you wear?

Beda, now that you mention it, I do remember seeing the big sephora brush. I am the same way about using the bronzer brush as a foundation brush. As a matter of fact, I am kind of amazed I use the brush for what it was meant at first. I hope you see this brush in PR soon.