Wednesday, February 10, 2010

lipstick as toys

In my desire to give my Avon lipsticks some attention, I decided to pull them out so that I could swatch them for the blog. I figured it would be good for them to see the light of day and the world (oh so presumptuous) to have a better idea of what the lipstick shades look like because the swatches that Avon offers are sub par. Therefore, you see a shade that you think you are going to love. You order the shade, receive it, and proceed to feel a rush of disappointment and disillusionment.

In my quest to save you money, I did my best to capture the shades a little better. Before I proceed with the swatches, let me show you what happened.



Yup, that is Cheeks holding the lipsticks. He baby-handled each and every single tube I pulled out. He would speed crawl to a tube, hold it, pet it, squeeze it, and then proceed to put it in his mouth. When he was done drenching the outside and leaving two or three tooth marks on the case, he would throw the tube to the floor and grab another lipstick. This kid will definitely become familiar with makeup. He has no other choice.

First, let's attack the Ultra Color Rich mousse lipsticks. These are very creamy and claim to provide pigment and moisture (the extra moisture comes from the moisturizing core that we are seeing more and more in lipsticks). These lipsticks do deliver great pigment, extreme creaminess, and they are not drying. Along with the pigment, they also offer a pretty sheen to them. However, there is a distinct smell to the them that doesn't agree with me. The lipsticks smell like flowers and Vaseline. Not entirely offensive, but definitely noticeable. I think the moisturizing core attributes to the smell. I don't tend to wear these lipsticks very often because the shades are very deep, and I haven't been in the mood to wear deep shades in a while.

I looked on the Avon website, and it seems like these aren't on the market anymore, but here are the swatches in case you come across them in the outlet.


My favorite shades are rum raisin, truffle, and very vixen. However, I really have to be in the mood for these.

Next, the regular Ultra Color Rich lipsticks, which I really love. These are really creamy, they are moisturizing, offer full color coverage, and last a decent amount of time (maybe 4 or 5 hours depending on activity. This won't outlast kissing and constant drinking). These lipsticks smell pretty--something like caramel and vanilla--but it is very subtle. The lipstick bullet is wider than the standard lip, which helps if you have bigger lips. Not so much if you have small lips. Of all the Avon lipsticks I have, these are my favorite. I would definitely buy more. Also, yay! they are still available on the Avon website, and they are on sale.

My favorite shades are Sheer Raspberry and Sheer Mocha (not pictured, I found it my purse after taking the pictures. It's in my purse for a reason.) Berry, Berry nice is a bit too pink and bright for me, but it is good to mix with other shades. Cherry Jubilee is deep and bold.

Finally, the lipstick with the longest name around: Beyond Color Plumping Lipcolor spf 15 with Double the Retinol. Yes, such a long name for such a regular lipstick. I have two of these, and I bough them because of the shades, not because of the plumping. I am not, and really will never be interested in plumping lipsticks. But, just to let you know, these don't plump at all. They are just nice, rich, creamy lipsticks. As a matter of fact, they are very similar to the Ultra Color rich lipsticks. Maybe they offer a little smoother finish on the lips, but that is all.

I really enjoy Twig. Sienna is pretty too, but veers on the side of orange, which doesn't always complement the face I am going for.

So that is it for now, but I have some Cover Girl Trushine lipstick swatches coming up eventually.
much love!

2 comments:

Askmewhats said...

I like the shade of Twig, such pigmented color! :)

Swtest2Lips said...

I love the sheer raspberry lippie. That would totally be perfect for work!