Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I have finally met La Femme

How many colors are there really? Recently, I have been so very intrigued by the power of colors. I have been reading up on complimentary colors, neutralizing colors, and the creations of other colors. I don't know why I am so into learning about the dynamic world of color because, as mentioned before, I am pretty much only wearing neutrals. Even though, I know that I will always gravitate towards my tans, browns, and bronze palette, I still have this idea that I will sport the rainbow on a regular day. Therefore, I buy (or at least was buying, not anymore) pink, purple, green, and yellow eyeshadows. Here's the curious thing, I have different tones of the colors in my collection, and shamefully, not many of them get much attention.

Well, the last shopping fit I had focused around La Femme's eyeshadows and blushes in the colors mentioned above. I had heard great things about this brand, however, it is very difficult to find here in the US. Therefore the brand was a mystery to me for quite sometime, until one crazy night when I was up late/early (depending on how you see it) feeding Cheeks and surfing the net, I came across the MakeupMania website that sells La Femme products along with other professional makeup lines.

After several days of considering whether to finally try the line, I broke down and made an order. On MakeupMania, you can order a palette of 12 eyeshadows or blushes for $35, which is fantabulous. The website has a "palette lab" that gives you the ability to customize your palette. I will admit that although the "palette lab" is a great idea, the execution is a touch cumbersome because you click and drag the shades you want into the virtual palette. Unfortunately, the shades aren't named until you put the virtual pan in the virtual palette, and the swatches are not very good. So, picking the shades can be a gamble because you aren't really sure what the shade really looks like. Also, it is difficult to distinguish between the blushes and the eyeshadows. For instance, I thought I had ordered more eyeshadows than blushes, but as it turns out some colors were categorized as blushes instead of eyeshadows. It doesn't really matter because I feel like the consistency is the same and the shades are versatile; so I just shrugged off this discovery.

Now, I will give MakeupMania mad props on customer service. I got emails notifying me on the progress of my order (customized palettes take more time because they assemble and label the palettes). Also when one of the shades I ordered was on backorder, they went ahead and sent the palette with a similar color and assured me that once the backordered shade came in they would send it out. Months passed and I had totally forgotten about the backordered shade until one day an envelope was in my mailbox with the missing eyeshadow. I was incredibly surprised to have received it after several months.

Okay, so as far as the palettes, I like them, for the most part. The pans are about the size of a silver dollar. They are snugly fit inside the palette, and the cardboard palette seems to be quite sturdy. The shadows/blushes has a faint powdery smell, and many of them are soft to the touch (some are a little harder and require a little more pressure to pick up the shade). The pigmentation of the product is good, especially with the brighter colors. For instance, as far as the blushes I ordered a little goes a very, very long way. The shadows' shades pick up nicely, with the exception of "Lemon." Many of the shades I bought are matte, and the "iridescent" and "very frosted" shades are very low on shimmer. So if you are going for something that will catch the light, the shades I have chosen won't do it. Actually, I was a little disappointed with the shimmer level. It seems that there is very little difference between the matte and the shimmery shades.

The shadows/blushes do spread well and they last long with a base (Just a reminder: I always use a base because I have oily lids, and it usually is UDPP.). After I got my first palette, I used it nonstop for two months. I didn't even make a dent in the pans. Then I ordered my second palette, which was more colorful, and I played around with it, but I haven't used it as much as I thought. This is to no fault of the palette, just my mood. However, now after playing around with the palettes again for the review, I will put these back in rotation. I really do like the shades and, overall, I like the quality. I remember thinking that I would love to buy more palettes when I am in the shopping mood again, and I will definitely order them from MakeupMania again. So this is a good sign for the product.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 happy wallets (I love the price. I like the flexibility of customizing. It satisfies my matte hankering, and I have brighter blushes. Plus, I like the versatility of the colors. One thing, not much shimmer even in the colors that are supposed to be shimmery. Also, Makeupmania assembles and prints the names of the shades for you.)

Price: $35 at makeupmania.com for a palette of 12 pans. Sold separately, the pan are $2.50 and the palette is $14

And now, the pictures (no based was used for the swatches):
Palette 1
"Cheeks and Lids" (you can name your palette)
Blush and Neutrals Palette (La Femme)
This was the first palette I bought. If you click on the picture you can read the names. Blushes are in the top row, shadows bottom. Also, note the printed names I taped to the inside.

Blush and Neutrals Palette (La Femme)
Swatches of the top row of the above palette.

Blush and Neutrals Palette (La Femme)
Swatches of the bottom row of the above palette. "Lemon" is a "lightly frosted" shade, and "Frostee Beige" is a "very frosted" shade. See, not much shimmer. "Frostee Beige" is basically matte. Oh, and "khaki" is "very frosted."

Palette 2
"Sun, Leaves, and Grapes"
Purples and Greens Palette (La Femme shadows)
Click on the picture to read the names.

Purples and Greens Palette (La Femme shadows)
Top row of the second palette. "Gold Leaf" and "Yellow" are the only designated mattes.

Purples and Greens Palette (La Femme shadows)
Second row of second palette.

Let me know if you have any questions concerning this product or anything else.
Much love

3 comments:

Askmewhats said...

I've tried one small palette from La Femme and so far they have good pigmentation, thanks for sharing these swatches!

Dennipep said...

I love La Femme's eyeshadows

T said...

You are welcome, Nikki.

Dennipep, I am glad I wasn't disappointed because I have been wanting to try them for quite some time.