Monday, August 31, 2009

The pandas will attack my hair (Garnier Anti-humidity spray with bamboo)



Well, if you regularly read this blog then you know that I have been searching for a hairspray that will fight humidity. You also know that I really have not ventured into the land of hairsprays, so I am not very well-versed in what is good and what isn't. Therefore, I had a horrible experience with the Ion Hairspray (you can read that here). However, I recovered quickly from that debacle and I picked up Garnier Fructis's new anti-humidity hairspray. From what I noticed Garnier came out with different types of anti-humidity hairsprays; one volumizes, another does something else, and the one I got provides shine and sleekness. The hold on the Sleek and Shine hairspray is "ultra strong" and rates a 4 on a scale of 1-5. This hairspray promises to have "long-lasting hold" and fight humidity all day. The spray also contains bamboo extract (I think this is what makes it new), which provides elasticity and strength, which translates into a bold, resilient, natural-looking hairstyle. The hairspray comes in an aerosol can. Oh, and the spray smells like the other Garnier products: fruity and feminine.

So, what do I think about this hairspray? Well, I have been using it for more than a month, and it does actually keep my curls in check during super humid days. I did retest it recently during a rainy, misty day, and I was amazed at how nicely my hair kept. In fact, my hair looked exactly the same when I got home. In addition to fighting the frizz, my hair still felt considerably soft. I say "considerably" because the fact of the matter is that I do have hairspray in it. So my hair wasn't crunchy, instead it felt firm. It was like I had a pliable barrier around my head. However, I have to state during this retest, I did apply the hairspray on second-day, dry hair. The directions on the can suggest the person apply on damp hair for full effect, and here is the rub. I have applied this hairspray when my hair was damp, and it really did work to its fullest potential. My curls were defined, they did not frazzle, and my hair still had room to move, but, and this is a big "but" for me, when I apply the hairspray when wet my hair feels a little sticky, and it takes forever to dry. I really hate having wet hair all day. I mean my hair already takes a while to dry, and I really don't want to drag that time out further. The quicker my hair can dry, the quicker I can fluff it, the prettier I will feel. Plus, when I apply the hairspray on damp hair and it finally dries, it doesn't yield good second-day hair (and I sleep on a satin pillowcase to prevent frizz and breakage). On the second day the hair is difficult to fluff without frizzing it up because of the firming effect of the hairspray on the curls. Since the curls are so firm, when they are on a flat surface the curls just flatten and stay like that. Annoying!

I can't knock the hairspray for being effective; I really can't, but I am not a fan of wearing this when wet. I guess if it was super humid on a "wet-hair day" (The days when I wash or rewet my hair. Curly girls know what I am talking about.), then I would do a quick spritz of the spray all over my hair, but it isn't my favorite option. Now, if it is super humid on a second-hair day, then I will most definitely coat my hair in this.

Bottom-line: this hair is great on dry hair, not so much on dense, wet hair.

So, would I buy this again? Yes, I would, but strictly for dry hair days. This can is 8.25 oz, and I don't really need a lot for my hair, so it will last quite some time before I have to buy it again. I will say this, I am not looking for another hairspray. This satisfied my curiosity for quite awhile.

Rating: 4.8 out of 5 happy wallets (I don't like the sticky effect it has on my wet hair, but I do wear other products, which could affect this feeling. Plus, the can doesn't state that it provides a natural feeling hair. It states that it provides "natural looking" hair. Overall, this hairspray does what it says, and it smells good.)

Price: honestly, I bought this a while ago and I can't remember. I do believe it was less that $6, maybe even $4, but I can't confirm (I looked around online, but I saw prices for the older version of this hairspray.).

Picture

My second-day hair with hairspray at the beginning of the day. See it looks natural and touchable, and it is. I forgot to take an "after the full day" pic because Cheeks was requesting all of my attention. By the time I was done for the day, I just passed out. However, the hair looked pretty much the same at the end of the day.

7 comments:

Askmewhats said...

I am seriously wondering why we don't have it here! it's so humid down here! We need a can of that here :)

Adrianna said...

Interesting...I wonder if I should try it now that im letting the hair grow out a tad and am wearing my hair curly more often now

thanks
The Grrll....

T said...

Nikki, it was just introduced here, so maybe it will make it's way over. Do you have access to the original Anti-humidity spray?

The Grrl, maybe once your hair gets longer. Although your hair does really well in humid times.

K.Lo said...

I just bought this exact hairspray too and I love it! I think I'm going to get the volumizing one soon. It is on sale this week at Target for $2.99. GO GET IT PEOPLE.

T said...

K.Lo, awesome! I am glad to know that others like it too. Let me know how the volumizing one is.
Thanks for the comment.

karrieann said...

your hair color looks so pretty.

T said...

Thanks, Karrieann. It is finally coming around after several home dye job mishaps. lol