Friday, July 10, 2009

Quick Tip: tightlining

I love to tightline my eyes. (Tightlining is when you line the base of your top lashes. You do this by pushing the liner into the base of your upper lashes. So the liner isn't visible on the lid; instead, your lash base looks thicker. Tightlining is perfect for giving a thick lash illusion without the dramatic liner line on the lid. I should provide a picture, but this quick tip just came to me.) However, whenever I use a pencil liner, the liner sometimes smudges or runs. Luckily, the other day I picked up a very helpful makeup book, and I would like to share one the tips. The book is titled Makeup Makeovers: Expert secrets for stunning transformations by Robert Jones. Mr. Jones makes a simple recommendation of using eyeshadow instead of eyeliner to tightline.

This tip never occurred to me. Why? I don't know. I mean I use eyeshadow at eyeliner all the time, but I never thought it would work for tightlining. Well, let me tell you that today I used a black eyeshadow (by La Femme) to tightline, and I was seriously impressed. My lashes looked thick, there was no running, and I think my application was much more precise and accurate.

Has anyone else tried this method?

7 comments:

Recessionista! said...

Hey T--what brush do you use when you tightline? I've been using pencils only and so far I like Styli-Styles the best. Thanks! :)

T said...

R, I use a Loew-Cornell 270 maxine mop art brush (size is 1/4). This is a small, flat shader brush. It is natural bristle, and very nice to line the eye with shadow. I think it is about $3 or $4. I like it so much that I have two.

DH said...

Yes! I often use eyeshadow as eyeliner. I find it's easier to dab shadow into the lashline with brush than it is to run a pencil along the very edge of the eyelid. I also like it because I can use colors other than black and dark brown but it still looks natural (try dark purple or even dark, teal green).

Marjo on Makeup Frenzy said...

Hmm very good tip! The eyeliner I use for tightlining always tends to disappear, I'll try with an eyeshadow. Thanks!

T said...

Marjo, let me know how it works out.

Scarlett said...

This was a "duh" moment for me! I am going to try it with shadow! And I needed a use for my itty bitty Maxine's Mop. lol :) Thanks!!!

T said...

Scarlett (love your name), let me know if it works for you.