Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Eye make them smolder (lol, poopy pun)

Back in the day I was all about the smokey eye. My mission was to make all, men and women, suffer from the smoke inhalation caused by my hot eyes. Had I been a superhero that would have been my superpower. After I applied the combination of grays and blacks, I would go out with my friends and make sure to squint while pursing me lips. Why, well, that is what sexy women do. I would dart my brown eyes left and right to see who was spontaneously combusting from the effect of defused charcoal eyeshadow. HOT, I tell you! HOT!

However, after so many nights of squinting and burning people with my ardent eyes, I got tired of it. I needed a break from the dramatic look, so then I moved on to a defined liquid eyeliner look with red lips, because that isn't dramatic at all.

This was more than four years ago. Can you believe I haven't done a smokey eye (to go out) in all of that time? I mean, now everyone does the smokey eye. Hell, now the smokey eye is considered natural. I just had this revelation last night, and I figured I would ease myself back into the art that is fiery eyes. In addition to doing a smokey eye, I also revisited the Revlon Colorstay eyeshadow quad in "Sultry Smoke" (such an appropriate name). I am also testing out Maybelline's new XXL Extension mascara in "very black." My first impression of the mascara is "hmm, this can work. Let's try again without all of the shadow."

Anyway, here are the pics and a quick review of the eyeshadow quad.

Review:
I absolutely love these colorstay quads. They are smooth, nicely pigmented, and they don't overload on the shimmer. As a matter of fact, some of the shades are totally matte, which is rare in a drugstore product. Why is that? These shades glide on very nicely on the lid, and they last for more than 8 hours. The color does fade a bit throughout the day, but there is no creasing. I really like these shadows for work makeup too because they are pigmented but not overwhelming nor overly dramatic. The color combos are just right too. I have many of the quads, and I probably will get the new ones. Big fan of these quads.

Colorstay 12 hr eyeshadow quad
see my reflection in the glass, lol?

Revlon Colorstay e/s
no names, just swatches. I used all of the colors. The light silver, blue, and gray shades do have shimmer in them, but it is very subtle. The black is matte.

another closeup of smokey eye
breakdown:
Maybelline define-a-brow in "dark brown"
UDPP
NYX jumbo pencil stick in "black bean" on outer 3/4 of eye (base)
NYX jumbo pencil stick in "yogurt" on inner corner (base)
Blue of quad on outer 3/4 of eye (the black bean really makes the color pop)
Gray of quad on outer corner and bottom lash line
Blue silver of quad on inner corner, and above crease to blend the darker colors
black of quad as liner in waterline and top lash line (sealed in the unstoppable eyeliner)
Maybelline Unstoppable eyeliner in "pewter" in waterline and tightlined
Maybelline XXL Extensions mascara in "very black" (several coats)
Maybelline Mineral Power concealer in "beige" with mark. powder buff powder foundation in "natural" on top of concealer

Smokey Eyes
face breakdown:
mark. powder buff powder foundation in "natural"
mark. bronze pro bronzer for contouring
ELF bronzer in "warm tan" for highlighting
NYX round lipgloss in "cafe latte"

There are more pics in my flickr photostream

13 comments:

Askmewhats said...

very pretty! :D

Michelle (Lipstick Rules) said...

Great post! I just stumbled on your blog and with the first few lines of this post, I'm hooked. Love it.

come and check out my blog too!
lipstickrules.blogspot.com

Elvira said...

I keep trying to read your post but my monitor keeps going up in flames each time I scroll down to your picture! HAWT!

T said...

Thank you, Nikki and Michelle. The quad really is very pretty. That blue does look lovely regardless of the shimmer.

Elvira, you are too much. When I first read your comment, I thought "oh now did all the pictures slow down her computer?" But then, I read the rest. LOL. Muah!

Recessionista! said...

T!!!! This quad looks freaking incredible on you! You totally sold me on it. It. Must. Be. Mine.

PS: I'm linking this post to my weekly roundup. :)

Patrice said...

You look so pretty on your makeup.

Anti-aging Sytropin said...

Woah! I love the look!! So sultry and bad-ass. That's lethal, darlin`.

DH said...

I love the smoky eye (sometimes) but swear I can never get it right. I always wind up looking like a racoon in an hour or two. I will try out the ColorStay quad and try to mimic your photos. Cross fingers!

T said...

Thank for the comments. There isn't anything like the smokey eye to bring on the fearlessness.

DH and Recessionista, not only could you do a smokey eye, but you can do a more subtle look too. The beauty of this quad is that it is versatile.
Let me know how it turns out.

Fabuless Beauty said...

Great smokey look! I haven't used Revlon Quads in years..maybe I should go back!

T said...

Thanks, FB. I have several other quads, I am going to explore them again because I remember they were pretty nice. I will say that "in the buff" is very light, so if you do get a quad skip that one.

Anonymous said...

very beautiful eye makeup

T said...

Thank you, Anon. much appreciated.