Monday, June 15, 2009

There is nothing "ultra" nor "gel-like" about this

I live in a bittersweet state of mind when it comes to accessibility of cosmetics. When I lived in Northern Virginia, I had my pick of brands and stores. Granted, I didn't always take advantage of the accessibility, but it was nice to know that everything was there and that I would not have to pay shipping costs. Now, I live is a distant land (not really just one state away, but far, far up in the state in a rural area). I live at least 25-45 minutes away from cosmetic counters, and many of the new and fun seasonal additions to drugstore lines rarely ever make it up here. When I have a hankering for something new that I read about, I go to search for it, only to find out that it will never come up my neck of the woods. I pout, but not for long. My love for new and cool stuff is ephemeral, and I soon find something else to test out. Plus, the lack of accessibility motivates me to try other products I typically wouldn't try.

Not so recently ago, I lost my L'oreal HiP cream liner. To this day, I have no idea where the heck it went. Anyway, I was perusing the Sally's website, and saw that the Femme Couture line had a cream liner with some good reviews. In addition the price is nice at $4-5 depending on the sale.

I got the cream liner, although they call it an "ultra smooth gel liner," in black. The packaging is cute, but not always well functioning because the top doesn't tightly seal. Therefore, the gel liner has a tendancy to dry and crack. Anyway, I had nice expectations for the the gel liner because of the reviews I had previously read. Unfortunately, I was disappointed with this product. There is nothing gel-like about his liner. The consistency is very creamy and thick, which makes the application of any type of line very difficult and blothy. Also, the liner really doesn't seem to dry, and the finish is dull. I used this liner for almost a week, but I was unsatisfied every time. I was hoping this would be like the much-celebrated Wet n' Wild cream liners, but not so much.

Last I checked, at my local Sally's, they had a bunch of these on the clearance table. So I think I am not the only one who was disappointed, but that could have just been at my store.
You know sometimes it is best not to mess with a good thing. Several weeks after purchasing this possible alternative, I got the HiP cream liner again, and this time I will not lose it again.

Rating:
1 out of 5 happy wallets (does not set, dull finish, drys quickly, spreads unevenly)
Price: $5 when not on sale
Sally's beauty supply stores.



5 comments:

Fabuless Beauty said...

Good to know. I've been hesitant to try out Sally's Cometic products. It cracked? Ugh..Oh, I'm a fan of L'Oreal's HIP cream liner as well.

Tanya said...

Wow, Thank you for the review! I've always been curious about this brand @ Sally's, I think I saw these on clearance at my store too! Looks like I'm definitely going to skip these...

T said...

you are welcome. So sad that they are poopy. Luckily, Sally's has some other goodies.

Elvira said...

Yikes. That looks awful! Thanks for the review. One to avoid for sure!

T said...

E, yeah. not fun