Thursday, May 28, 2009

Is that hairspray or are you just happy to see me?


I hate humidity. Actually, I don't know anyone who says, "Yay, today it's 100 percent humidity. Yum, I love humid days. Oh look! Frizz! I look great with frizzy hair. This is an excellent wedding look." So I guess I am part of the majority in really not liking the stickiness that is humidity. With this being said, I know "who" hates humidity more than I do: my hair. Whenever there is even a whisper of humidity, my hair starts a revolution. Each strand breaks into a Les Miserables song, and then they get angry when there is no standing ovation. Therefore in retaliation for the humidity and "lack" of attention, my hair makes me look like...I don't even know. My poor curls, they just unravel.

So for all of these years I have been trying to find a solution to guard against the effects of humidity. I really hadn't found anything satisfying until I decided to try out hairsprays. It really never occurred to me to use hair sprays to preserve curl and prevent frizz. It's kind of embarrassing to think about the fact that I never used hair spray. I always associated hair spray with teasing and Aquanet. Now, I know better. My first venture into hair spray was ION Alcohol-Free hair spray, which is found at Sally's. So far it has been a lukewarm welcome.

This hairspray has great holding power, and it works excellently to shield humidity-induced frizz. Several weeks ago, my family spent the day walking in a misty, foggy day. Thankfully, my curls did not unravel and they did not fuzz up. Meanwhile, everyone else's hair had puffed up like a blow fish. The ION hair spray had done what it needed to do and then some. However, there are some drawbacks: 1) the smell is not pleasant at first (it does eventually dissipate), 2) the spray adds additional drying time to my hair when applied to damp hair, 3) my hair doesn't feel too stiff. Also, the sprayer sometimes sticks because of the hair spray, which is a pain when I am in a rush.

Would I buy this hairspray again? Meh, maybe not. I would venture to something a little less expensive and with a better scent. However, the actual efficacy of the spray has motivated me to try other brands. I do really love it's ability to fend off the humidity.

Rating:
2 out of 5 happy wallets (love the hold, hate the scent and time it takes for my hair to dry.)
Price: $5.29 ($4.79 with sally card) Found at Sally's beauty supply
Bottom line: find yourself at Sally's and see this, move on.

2 comments:

Recessionista! said...

OMG this post cracked me up!! I hear you on the Ion spray--I haven't had good luck with *any* Ion products I've tried, so it's not surprising.

I've actually heard very good things about Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Anti-Humidity Hairspray, which I think would fall into your price zone. Fructis products have a strong fragrance though, so that may be a deal-breaker. If you can get past that, I've heard that this spray works very well for people in high-humidity locations :)

T said...

;-)
Hey R! Thanks for the rec. I actually like the fructis fragrance, so I will try the spray. Listen, yesterday, I could have really used that darn hair spray. My frizz was all over the place.