Friday, February 6, 2009

like buttah

When I was a kid, I used to sneak sticks of butter.  I would go somewhere clandestine and I would slowly gnaw on the butter.  I loved butter.  I don't think I ever finished an entire stick because my mom would always interrupt me and snatch it out of my hands.  I was a gross child, I also ate Avon fruity chapsticks, daddy long legs, and some other stuff that I am too embarrassed to mention.  Although, I have, thankfully, grown out of this phase, I can honestly say that I am definitely more open to eating different things.  

Anyway, why am I even talking about my childhood eating habits? Well, I guess my obsession with Redken Smooth Down Butter Treat hair treatment reminded me of my previous fascination with butter.  Nowadays, if hair products have the word "butter" in the name, I am more than willing to try it.  My two favorite hair butters are shea butter (pure/unrefined, found at coastalscents.com) and this Redken stuff.  I know there are more products out there, and eventually I will try them out.

I have very curly, dry, fine hair.  Although it is fine, I have a whole, whole lot.  I have enough to cover five heads and mine.  In combination with the dynamic of my hair, I also have a constant urge to do something to it.  I am always plotting a new style, color, or something for my hair.  I have shaved it, used kool-aide, fried it once, bleached it, etc.  My hair is a co-dependent partner; even with all of the abuse, she has stuck with me for the most part.  There was one exception when she had had enough and fell out in protest.  (I deserved her reaction though.)  Ever since the fall out, I have taken it pretty easy on her.  I cut her short, nourished her, and she is growing back in full splendor (the prenatal vitamins don't hurt either. I don't shed at ALL.  The hair sitch is going to suck once Felix is here.  All of that unshedded hair will drop.)  She has not been relaxed in a long time, and when curly, my hair looks really short.  It's very cute, but I like variety.  So now, I am on a straight/wavy trend.  Blow dryers and straight up flat irons make my hair look stiff, and I like touchable, moveable hair--not always easily attainable.  However, roller setting (granny style) is the panacea for my straightening dilemma.  In addition to roller setting, the Smooth Down butter works wonders to non-chemically relax the curl, eliminate frizz, and smooth the shaft.  A little goes a long way. This treatment doesn't leave a film either; it leaves my hair soft, smooth, and crazy healthy.  So even though I expose my hair to heat, this butter continues to condition it.  If I still ate butter, I would eat this one (but that would be very bad). One thing, there isn't much fragrance to this. It just smells like regular conditioner.

From the tube (8.5 fl oz, for around $14. it does last a really long time. I have had my tube for one year and I am just halfway done):  "...treatment is a rich, luscious cream that provides intensive, deep smoothing to very dry/unruly hair.  Redken's exclusive Interbond Conditioning System delivers a unique Ionic Smoothing Complex of macadamia oil, candelilla wax and cationic refiners for super long-lasting conditioning, nourishment, and a smooth frizz-free finish."

Here's what I do, I wash my hair, use regular conditioner, rinse out, and then while my hair is still dripping wet, I smooth in and distribute two nickel-size dollops of the Redken treatment.  Then I towel dry my hair, roller set my hair, sit under the dryer for 45 minutes.  Afterwards, I take out the rollers, brush out some the volume, flat iron portions of high hair (If I don't do this, I look like one of the Golden Girls, which is fine, but I'm not there yet), and then I am pretty much done.  If I want to get rid of more volume, I will tie my hair down with a scarf for a while.  Sometimes I sleep with a scarf too.  The hairstyle lasts for three to four days.  I don't have to wash my hair every day because I have dry hair; it's actually better if I don't wash every day.

So here are my curls

And here is the straightened hair with the amazing Redken and roller setting (seriously, the Redken is the only product I use.  However, remember I have fine curly hair.  I don't know how it would work on coarser hair.  Actually, my mom has coarser hair and it works beautifully on her.  She too roller sets.)


redken and rollers

new haircut
I heart this cut! Shout out to my girl at Hair Cuttery.  She is a gem!

Rating:
5 out of 5 happy wallets (Not drugstore, but lasts long enough to justify the investment.)

Also, just for fun, I did an eye look using the Coastalscents 88 eyeshadow palette.  I looked at my colorwheel and let myself by inspired randomness.  I think it turned out pretty cool.

I also used L'Oreal Lineur Intense liquid liner for the first time.  I love the carbon black finish, but the felt tip was difficult to manuveur.  It just takes practice.  I have also rediscovered Maybelline Lash Discovery mascara.  It is wonderful.  There are more picture in my flickr photostream (link on sidebar).

Green/Pink Look

coastalscents 88 palette green/pink (color real to life)
NYX jumbo stick in lavender (base)
Green and several pinks from 88 palette
L'Oreal Lineur Liner in carbon black
Maybelline Lash Discovery mascara on upper and lower lashes
UD 24/7 liner in zero on waterline

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

T,
You look marvelous I just love that hair it looks healthy,shiny and you are rocking it! Wild! the eye make-up belongs in a "Clockwork Orange." Very well done, have you ever thought of becoming a theater make-up artist? B E A U T I F U L!!!

T said...

Thank you for the kind words. I would love to study makeup artistry (regular and theater). As a matter of fact, I did a little theater makeup in high school. It was so much fun to change a person's looks.
Maybe when I move closer to a big city with more option. Right now, Youtube is my teacher ;-)

Have a lovely day!

marisol said...

You are workin' it! I am impressed by the winged liner. I can't do it at all.

T said...

Marisol, Sometimes it comes out, sometimes it doesn't. When I started practicing winged lining, I used the cream liner with a small brush. That really made winging the liner easier. I outline the wing and then fill it in in when using the cream liners.

With the L'oreal Lineur Intense, the felt tip brush did all of the work. At first it was awkward, but after getting used to the applicator, the wing worked well.

latina8184 said...

very pretty look! i love that redken stuff! haha the hair cuttery stylist convinced me to get a 3 piece kit of the smooth down. I love the shampoo and conditioner! makes your hair really smooth!