Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Foundations-R-Us part 2

Finally, I am pretty much done with the semester.  I just have to give three finals, grade those, and I am home free.  Yay, reviews, hauls, and books here I come.  I have finally gotten back into the fun of wearing makeup.  I forgot how lost in the process I get.  The other night the Scholar and I were going to a holiday party and we ran late because I was having so much fun doing my face.  It happened again today.  I was getting ready for the dentist and I decided to use one of the mark. palettes and I just go lost in the shimmer and the blues.  I was three minutes late to the appointment, which was better than I thought I would be, but I definitely learned my lesson.
  Note to self: allot more time for makeup application so that you don't run late on a regular basis.  

Anyway, I finally had time to take pictures of some foundation swatches and finish this installment of foundations for NC 35-40.  So here we go.  Are you excited?  I know I am.

1) NEW Clinique Superfit
Price: $20.50
Shade: Golden Beige.  I really enjoy this foundation.  I was wearing Revlon Colorstay on my oily skin, but I got tired if its heaviness, and I really wanted to venture into other foundations out of fear of falling into a rut, which is quite curious because all I have wanted to do is be loyal to makeup products.  Alas, my heart is impetuous.  Well, I digress.  I was a little worried about trying this foundation because previous Clinique experiences have left me splotchy, pooly, and orange.  I really did not want to look like an oompa loompa.  I purchased this gem at a Sephora where I could take the time to really assess what shade really worked for me.  After trying five shades, I finally decided on Golden Beige, which I believe is in the medium range.  The shade works perfectly.  I have been wearing this foundation off and on for two months, and every time I am outside in the natural light I am sure to look for any demarcation lines.  I have been really happy to not find any.  In addition, I have NOT turned ORANGE.  The weight is light, the coverage is medium to full, and the lasting power is excellent.  I get a glow, not a melting face shine.  I will say that I have been using the Coastalscents diva defense primer (review coming) underneath, so this might be pushing up the shine-proof element.  The consistency is liquidy, which makes blending and application easy, and the foundation dries to a powdery matte finish (my favorite finish).  I pat some additional foundation on the trouble area.  
I also really like the small bottle the foundation is packaged in.  The opening is dropper style, which is great for keeping the foundation clean, and the bottle is easy for travel.  I am pleasantly surprised with this foundation.
2) mark. old Face Xpert (misspelling is trendy!)
Price: $8
Shade: medium.  I know they have revamped the line and the shades, but I still have one bottle of this, and I know that there probably are some bottles of this floating around makeupalley swap lists.  As far as the new shades go, medium is a little lighter than natural, and a little darker than buff.  Also, medium is a little peachier than both new shades.  Buff and Natural are more yellow.  Either way, medium does blend well if you do not have super yellow undertones.  Ok, on to the review.  I have had a love/hate relationship with this foundation.  I love the way it glides and blends into my skin.  I love the little bottle, and I love that it doesn't have an SPF.  Oh yeah, and I really enjoy the price and the fact that it doesn't break me out.  I hate the sponge-tip applicator and the fact that sometimes it doesn't fare well with my oily skin.  Therefore, I usually wear this foundation during the winter and shelve it during the summer. In addition, sometimes the color feels a little off.  However, and this is a big "however," I am growing to love this foundation more and more each day.  For some reason, I decided to grab this foundation the other day, and I have been wearing it religiously for the last two weeks.  For some reason, it is not sliding off of my face, even when surrounded by heat, and the color is matching just right.  The foundation is also lasting all day for me with very minimal transfer.  I think this 180 degree performance can be partially attributed to the primers I have been trying out: coastalscents diva defense (performing swimmingly) and mark. matte chance (pretty good).  If you have oily skin, try the foundation samples before you buy a full bottle.  I know it is only $8, but if it doesn't work it occupies space and that is just annoying.  The coverage is medium to mid-full.  You can build up on this foundation, but it won't build up to total full coverage.  The consistency is light and creamy, and it dries to a mildly glowy powder finish.  This foundation is a cinch to blend.
I will say that the sponge-tip applicator is the pits.  I use it to dab on the foundation, but it really is gimmicky and cumbersome.  I would live if mark just totally revamped the packaging.
(mark. photo from meetmark.com)



3) CoverGirl  Advanced Radiance Age-Defying Compact foundation (the foundation that is just like AquaSmooth)
price: about $8-10
Shade: Soft Honey.  I love compact foundations.  I love powder finishes.  I like swipe-and-go foundations, and this is just it on all three accounts.  However, sometimes this foundation hates oily skin, so I really have to use it when there is zero humidity and cool to cold temperatures.  (If you have normal skin this foundation can be your best friend.  If you have dry skin, then you must moisturize first.  Us oilies must use a very competent primer, like coastalscents diva defense.) CoverGirl tends to have really poopoo shades.  They go from super pink to super orange.  Luckily, there are two or three shades that are realistic, and I happen to find one of them.  Soft Honey is a great shade for the NC35 days.  This foundation is truly buildable, very blendable, and beautifully easy to apply.  The foundation comes with a sponge, but I like to use my fingers for better distribution control.  Watch out though, this foundation can easily cake because it goes from medium to full coverage in less than four seconds, and it can transfer.  The "age-defying" does nothing.  The only reason I bought this over the Aquasmooth is because I heard that the shade was a little browner (for lack of a better word) than the same shade in Aquasmooth, but honestly, I can't tell the difference.  Oh, and this doesn't have the interesting smell that the Aquasmoooth has, or at least I can't smell it.
The compact is long and awkward, but I really wouldn't reapply this because of the cake factor.  Overall, I nice addition to the compact collection.  If you want to try it out, buy it when it is on sale.

Revlon Colorstay with Softflex for Oily/Combo skin
Price $11-13
Shade: Warm Golden and Natural Tan.  This review will be short because Colorstay foundations are a staple in many makeup or trial bags.  I will focus on the shades.  Remember how the old version of Colorstay had pinkish hues to them.  Well the new Colorstay is more diverse in its hues.  There still are pink-toned foundation, which is necessary, but now they have incorporated some yellow-based shades too.  Warm Golden and Natural Tan have more yellow than pink in them.  I love Warm Golden, this shade is for my paler days, like say NC30.  I can work it on NC35, but it can be a stretch.  On my more sunkissed days I blend Natural Tan with Warm Golden to get the closest match possible.  I can't tell you the ratio of the color mixture because I eye it, and it changes sometimes.   This foundation is great on my yucky skin days, or when I am just craving heavier coverage.  The blendability is not stellar, but it is better than it was before.  The bottle is still glass and frustrating.  The price has gone up and the amount you get has decreased a touch.  If you would like to test it out, make sure you get it on sale.  I am not sure it is worth full price just to try it.  You can always return it, but it feels better when it is on sale.


Wishing you happy faces and happy wallets.  More to come.  

3 comments:

marisol said...

Good luck on your finals!

T said...

Thanks, Marisol. Almost there. ;-)

A Gal On A Budget said...

Are you a teacher? If so, which subject? You may also be a T.A. or a grad student...I'm having too much fun guessing so you'd better set me straight ;). You did say "give three finals" not "take," right?