Saturday, October 11, 2008

Bo-ingggg...

Do you remember Ramona the Pest? Remember how she was curiously committed to the idea of pulling on one of the her classmate's curly tendrils?  BO-ING, BO-INGG.  Ok, ok, one more time, BO-ING.  It is just so amusing to pull on curls.  I like to call curls "Nature's slinky."  Why buy the mad-made slinky when you can just befriend a curly-haired person, right?  Plus, nature's slinkies are easier to detangle: man-made ones, no so much.

Anyway, as stated before, I am letting my hair grow out.  I went through a phase where I wanted straight, shorter hair: the Rihanna look.  Well, I got a haircut and a relaxer.  I have gotten relaxers, but Queen Fierce is the one who usually does the entire process.  I have never had problems with relaxers, ever.  I ignored my gut and went to a salon to pay a ton of money for a service that cost pennies at Queen Fierce's home.  Well, long story short, I looked hot for about two weeks after the new 'do, and then my hair started to break off.  I freaked out for about two days.  After the panic, I went to the Queen Fierce with my tail in between my legs and said, "Let's just go back to basics.  Cut it all off."  I have kept it short for some time, and the next time I decided to tame my curl, I went to Queen Fierce.  No problem.  One thing, short hair takes a lot of maintenance, and for some reason, my hair grows really fast (or at least it feels that way).  So, I would get a mild relaxer, hair would grow, hair got cut, and I would have the natural curl again (I was going for the Mia Farrow pixie).  After several upkeeps, I said "Forget this, I am growing out my hair, au natural."  Plus, times are tough, and I need to prioritize my disposable income, ya heard?  (I'm stalking the makeup counters, I am thinking about buying a new foundation.)

So, it's back to playing with products that define curl; it's back to headbands, scarves, and barrettes; it's back to the BO-ING!

I'm bringing BO-ING back, Justin.  Maybe you should follow me.

Anyway, I have never stopped using my staple everyday conditioner, Aussie Deeeep 3 minute miracle.  However, I just leave it in for like 2880 minutes.  Since my hair is one the dryer side, I don't have to wash it very as often; it soaks up everything.  Aussie Deeep isn't heavy, sticky, filmy, or gross in my hair.  In addition, the conditioner has wonderful slip, and it preserves my curl pretty well.  I usually have to wear another product with the conditioner.  I have so many hair products, I could open my own shop.  I was trying t use up what I had, but I got bored.  The other day when I was in the pharmacy to pick up prenatal vitamins (I have just graduated from my first trimester, and this is my first baby.  Let's hope everything goes well.), I swung by the hair aisle.  I found this John Frieda silicone/gel hair product called "Clearly Defined."  I contemplated and say, "sure, why not."  I used it yesterday, and I have to say that I do like it, overall.  Here's a breakdown:

Consistency:  More gel than silicone.  It is very clear, has nice slip and feels light but substantial in my hand.  There are little silicone beads that seam to evanesce.  I have to use several pumps for my hair because I like to make sure everything is coated.

Hold: Firm.  Does it feel touchable, kind of.  I definitely feels like I have product in my hair.  However, once the hair is dry, I can smooth out any sharp, crisp curls to make the hair look fluffier, but still defined.  I don't like the "wet look,"  I like the "defined but approachable look."
I also did not notices any flakiness.

Smell: Pleasant, floral, fruity, clean

Frizz-control: Very nice!

Drawbacks:  The bottle says that it imparts shine, but I didn't notice a ton of shine.  Once the hair was dry I had to use a little coconut oil to add the crucial shine.  Also, and I don't know if this is due to the hormones, but my hair feels a touch dry.  To be fair, my hair has been feeling this way, though.

2nd day hair: Nice, very nice.  I just had to rake my hand through my hair to fluff the flattened curls.  I twisted some of the curls to refresh the definition, but I was impressed.  I have a touch of frizz, but nothing that can't be twisted/patted down.  

Overall:  I am impressed with this product.  To compensate for the lack of shine, I will use shea butter or coconut oil, but I feel like my hair needs that anyway.  I will let you know if my opinion changes.  Oh, and by the way, the bottle says that it can be used for straight hair too, like before a blow out.  So, it's not strictly for the slinkies.  

Rating
4.5 out of 5 happy wallets
Price: about $7, buy it on sale!

Here are pics of the growing hair and product
First day

Second day (and Hand model audition)



2 comments:

Elvira said...

OMGOMGOMG! Forget the damn hair gel! Congratulations! Yea a baby! How wonderful for you! Your hair will grow a lot. mine grew like crazy during my pregnancy. Plus my nails never looked better too! Oh I am so happy for you! When are you due? Do you know the gender yet? Have you picked names? I luv babies! Oh and your hair? It is awesome! I love it. Have fun playing w/ it and growing it out!

T said...

Thanks, Elvira. We are all very excited on this front. I am due in mid April, so I am still in the beginning stages. I don't know the sex of the baby, but I do want to find out. I think we might be able to know in two months. We can't wait.
Don't worry, I will keep you posted.

I am loving my nails and my hair is crazy thick right now, lol yay!